Visa and residence permit

1st step: VISA

Apply for a visa at the German embassy in your home country. Please allow several weeks for your visa to be processed. Important: Do NOT enter Germany on a tourist visa if you want to work at the MPI CEC. There are different types of visas depending on the purpose and the period of your stay at our institute. For further information, please see the website of the German Federal Foreign Office. There you will find details concerning the different visa types, addresses of German embassies in your home country, and the visa application process. Usually, the German embassy or consulate will issue only a temporary visa (valid for 90 days) which allows you to enter Germany. In order to work and stay here for a longer time you will have to change your visa into a residence permit (see 2nd step below) once you arrive in Germany. This is done at the local foreign registration office. Please check the legal regulations regarding families, spouse joining, etc. carefully.

Do you need a Visa?

Group A - No
Citizens from the member states of the European Union (EU), Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein do not require a visa.

Group B - No
Nationals from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea and the USA do not require an entry visa, but they must apply for a residence permit (see 2nd step below) shortly after arrival if they intend to stay in Germany longer than 90 days.

Group C - Yes
Nationals from all other countries need to apply for a visa.

2nd step: residence permit

EU and non-EU residents
As soon as you arrive in Germany you need to register with the “Ausländeramt” (local foreigners office) – no matter if you are living in a guesthouse, hotel, or have a permanent flat already. We will send your data to the foreign authority in advance, but once you have arrived in Germany, you need to make an appointment with the local foreigners office in Mülheim:
Leineweberstr.18-20, 45468 Mülheim an der Ruhr

Non-EU residents only
Non-EU residents also require the so-called “Aufenthaltstitel” (residence permit) in order to be allowed to work in Germany. Please bring all necessary documents to your appointment at the “Ausländerbehörde” (foreigners office). In case you do not have all documents ready at the time of your appointment, you may hand them in later.

Documents you will require for the residence permit (please also bring copies):

  • Your contract of employment at MPI CEC (the invitation letter is not sufficient)
  • A biometric passport picture (not older than 6 months) 
  • Your passport
  • If you do not work on a scholarship, you will be required to pay a fee of 50 or 60 Euros (depending on the length of your contract). If you work on a scholarship, please bring the respective documents along with you.
  • Proof of health insurance (If you have not yet started your job at the MPI, and do not have German health insurance, you may bring proof of your travel insurance.) 

You can also contact the institute's secretaries if you have questions or need help, such as booking an appointment or getting a confirmation letter about your stay.

More detailed information can be found at the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, the Federal Foreign Office or on EURAXESS.

Living in Mülheim an der Ruhr

If you have recently moved to Mülheim an der Ruhr and will stay here for at least 3 months, and have a permanent residence during this time, you need to register with the „Bürgeramt“. It is recommended to do so within 7 days of moving to Mülheim. If you move to Mülheim with your children, you’ll have to register them as well. Please bring your own valid ID/passport as well as your children’s IDs or certificates of birth. Children who are 18 years and older have to sign a separate form.

For further information please visit the website of Mülheim.

Bürgeramt Mülheim: Löhstraße 22 -26, 45468 Mülheim an der Ruhr, Tel: +49 (0)208/4550

If you are searching for an accommodation in Mülheim and surrounding please see our paragraph about accommodation.

If you want to get to know Mülheim please see the section about the city.